The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) has approved the rate hike petition last June 30, 2012 of the Manila Electric Company or commonly known as Meralco. This increase has been implemented last July 1st until the 30th of June, 2013.
This news is surely inconvenient and will probably give you more worried. Others may ask, "Totoo ba talaga na ang Meralco ay 'Ang liwanag ng bukas?'" I also asked myself the same question.
Since, this situation is inevitable, we have to think of what we can do best. Here are ways on how you can make your electric consumption lower.
- Use compact fluorescent light or also called energy-saving light
- Minimize the use of air-conditioning units and electric fans, take advantage of the rainy season.
- Use your television as a necessity and not as an entertainment tool.
- Unplug all appliances that you are not using at the moment.
- Wash and iron clothes once a week.
Above everything, have self-control and be disciplined, only then will you attain the savings you want for your electric bills.